The trend in the optical/ophthalmic industry allows us to understand the new market needs and detect opportunities that provide added value.
It is vitally important to understand how opticians work in order to observe their needs and concerns during the process of customizing lenses.
A study carried out by Horizons Optical has resulted in two aspects to increase the product mix in optical shops (1).
- Personalization is key. However, there is a paradox and that is that around 80% of the orders placed use default values. Thus, only 20% use actual position of wear values for the personalization of ophthalmic lenses (1).
- The aesthetics are relevant. Orders placed with a high index continue to make up only a small percentage of the total orders (around 2%) if we compare them to orders placed with low or medium indexes (2 & 3).
The lens centering process is a key element for lens customization. On the other hand, to improve the aesthetics of lenses, professionals need to make the improvement in thickness tangible and explain the demonstrable benefits.
The professional needs effective tools to justify the sale of a product with added value. Consequently, a new business opportunity appears.
The INVISION digital platform’s mission is to optimize processes in optical retail by improving efficiency, the product mix, and the user experience.
To do this, INVISION incorporates new protocols for opticians that will be common during the sales process.
This new platform consists of a specific functionality to justify the aesthetic improvement of the final lenses.
Horizons Optical presents INVISION 360Depict.
INVISION 360Depict, an application that simulates 3D lenses and performs a thickness comparison between different refractive index values and added technologies.
INVISION360Depict is fed by the position of use data collected during centering and from the chosen basic frame shape. From this data, the calculation and simulation of thicknesses is carried out. Additionally, technologies and refractive indexes can be turned on and off.
Image 1: Usability INVISION 360Depict.
The thickness simulation consists of a simple and intuitive process that helps the optician justify the final price of the ophthalmic lenses offered and/or recommended. In this way, the user understands at all times why some lenses may have one final price or another.
In addition, this new application provides:
- Innovation and professionalism in the sales process, improving the optical shop’s reputation.
- Differentiation. The simulation of ophthalmic lenses in 3D is impressive because it makes the final result tangible.
- New shopping experience. It makes the advantages of the final product tangible, transmits innovation, and achieves the wow effect.
- Usability. It is an easy, agile, and live sales tool. The optician is able to compare different indexes and/or added technologies with a single click in just 10 seconds. In addition, it offers the possibility of making the invisible visible. Consequently, users are aware of the ophthalmic lenses they will buy and imagine the final aesthetic result without creating false expectations.
- Connectivity. Available from any platform and browser. It offers the possibility of reaching all professionals who want the application.
Image 2: Comparative thickness simulation
(1) Reference: 2020 order dates, HO
(2) Refraction Index of 1.7 or higher.
(3) 2020–21 period, Spanish market.